Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lightning & Fires!




I drove down to Monterey last weekend to attend Soroka's (Monterey WCM) going away party as he prepares to take a new job in Washington, D.C. On the drive down there was an incoming storm system with the most lightning strikes I've seen in a LOOOOONG time. As I drove close to the Monterey Bay, I saw one storm cell that kept pumping out one strike after another. I stuck my camera through the sunroof to take the photo. For those of you familiar with the area, that storm cell is right over Pacific Grove on the Monterey Peninsula. When I drove back on Sunday, I found out that over 800 fires had been started and the smoke was filling up the Sacramento Valley. You can barely see the hills in the distance from the hazy conditions. I promptly started to work midnight shifts. One morning, I decided to capture the unique, bright orange color of the sun as it rose.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I like that you included the MINI Cooper in the first picture.